A warm welcome to all of the new participants in this seminar. For our first session, please ensure that you do the following:
- Obtain the required texts for this year’s seminar.
- Sign up with WordPress (once you have received the invitation from this seminar to do so), and create your profile.
- Explore any WordPress support pages that you encounter.
- Download and read the complete (revised) syllabus.
- Obtain a copy of the (revised) agenda we will use.
- And please do the first assigned reading from The Imperial University:Introduction: Piya Chatterjee and Sunaina Maira, “The Imperial University: Race, War, and the Nation-State,” pp. 1-50
Our books for the Winter 2015 semester are, in the (revised) order in which we shall read them:
(1) The Imperial University: Academic Repression and Scholarly Dissent
Edited by Piya Chatterjee and Sunaina Maira
Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2014
(2) Homo Academicus
Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1990
(3) Ordering Africa: Anthropology, European Imperialism and the Politics of Knowledge
Edited by Helen L. Tilley and Robert J. Gordon
Manchester, UK: Manchester University Press, 2007